Sunday 9 November 2008

Visual...

...Synecdoches

The main example of this, or the most obvious one for me, is found in newspapers and political magazines etc... I'm finding it hard to explain what I mean in words, so bring on the pictures!




How horribly American... and it's a rubbish example, but I couldn't find any older references (the old ones require abit of disecting usually).
So the meaning we take from this is that the baby wrapped in the American flag is a replacement for the American people. Or at least thats what I take from it anyway. The people of America are being replaced with a representative? Yeah?

The type of thing I was looking for though are the old, politically fuelled propaganda cartoons you usually find in newspapers. Actually a good example of one was the image we went through in our critical studies class, CS2 did anyway, don't know about the rest of you? The image with uncle Sam and the eagle and things... I supposed these would all be 'visual synedoches' for America?


Metaphor...



Lovely! I'm not even sure if this is relevant, but the blog I stole it from is pretty interesting...

http://www.artraj.com/blog/redpres01.htm

The image says "having unprotected sex is like having sex with a potentially deadly arachnid"
whether that makes at a metaphor or a similie I'm unsure of. Either way it's got to be relevant huh.

pretty gruesome image too, I love it.



Metonym...

" A metonym is a symbolic image used to make reference to something with a more literal meaning. "

a good example of this the cross and its links with the church or christianity.


This lead me to wonder whether colours can be visual metonyms? Red representing stop or anger. Our interpretations of colour change depending on our origins, emotions and experiences, which would be true to any metonym surely? The same as any metonym, it would depend on individual interpretation...hmmm.


The Clover

Typically representative of Ireland,
or luck, which again is associated with the Irish.
Also, back to the colour thing, it's green... which is the colour associated with luck.

So which came first? Is the clover lucky because it's green? Or is green lucky because it's the colour of clover?

Yeah I've gone off on a tangent now so I'm going to shut up, and update this when I find something of interest.






















No comments: