Thursday 22 January 2009

Book of 100: Statement of Intent

1. State the title and focus of your work in response to the brief.

The title of my work is 100 Trees, however I assume this will change as my investigation into the subject progresses. After a confused beginning to this brief I have decided to focus purely on the aesthetic value of trees and anything I feel is relevant to this area of my chosen subject.


2. Identify specific areas of research that you intend to investigate and methods that you will use.

The most obvious starting point for my research had to be get out there, take photos, collect leaves, twigs etc. Having done that, I feel the best way to take this forward is to experience other artists work to see how they interpret the aesthetic quality of trees etc.

Another point of research will include collecting thoughts, feelings, memories and other interesting pieces of information in the form of surveys and questionnaires. I feel this will give the book a much needed sense of meaning, as so far I have a book of pictures that don't seem to have a purpose.



3. Identify specific practical methods and technical processes that you intend to use in order to visually develop your ideas.

Everything and anything I can lay my hands on to start with. Paints, pens, prints, photography, ink work, pencil work, rubbings, textiles?
I will then begin to narrow down this list and refine the processes I use depending on how well they work or how relevant I think that process is to my subject.

As a follow up I will start to consider how these largely traditional processes can be digitalised.



4. What methods will you use to evaluate the progress and success of your work?

As with every module, I feel the best kind of evaluation is that given by the rest of the group. I like to keep up a good amount of discussion regarding work whilst at college, and I feel this is always the most effective way to take note of and evaluate my progression.
I will capitalise on this through the use of surveys and questionnaires and crits with the group. This will allow me to record what I find, and take action accordingly.

I will also keep an on going series of design sheets and sketch books as an outlet for my own evaluations.

No comments: